Guide for Healthy Eating
If you diet includes a wide variety of foods in the right proportion, and does not exclude any food groups, then you are following a healthy balanced diet.
You daily diet should include the following food groups:
Healthy eating pyramid
1. Go for 5-A-Day daily
Having at least 5 serves of fruits and vegetables can help lower cancer risks, and smokers may need more. Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals. All vegetables, from the red ones such as tomato and carrot, to the green leafy vegetables, are beneficial to our health. Also, they are high in fibre, which is good for bowel movement. It is suggested to have at least 2 serves of fruits (1 serve = about the size of your fist) and 3 serves of vegetables (1 serve = 1/2 bowl of boiled vegetables) every day.
2. Limit consumption of red meat. Choose a variety of red meat, poultry, fish, nuts, dry beans and dairy products
Limit consumption of red meat can help lower bowel cancer risk. Also, choosing a variety of dry beans and nuts can help lower blood cholesterol levels, thus reduce risk of heart disease.
3. Limit alcohol consumption
Alcohol consumption has been shown to increase risk of a number of cancers. Thus, it is suggested to consume no more than 1 drink* for women and 2 drinks* for men.
*1 drink = 250ml beer, 100ml red wine or white wine, or 25ml spirit
4. Employ healthy cooking methods
- Choose lean meat. Remove animal skin and trim off visible fats before cooking
- Opt for low-fat dairy, seasoning and dressing
- Avoid deep-frying
- Use non-stick pan. Minimise oil use
5. Easy tips for healthy eating
- Enjoy a wide variety of foods
- Eat regular meals and moderate portions
- Get your 5-A Day by choosing different fruits and vegetables every day
- Maintain a healthy weight. Avoid eating too much fat, salts and sugars
- Always remove animal skin and trim off visible fats
- Avoid deep-fried dishes. Opt for stir-fried, steamed or soup dishes
- Try using artificial sweetener and skim milk for tea, coffee and drinks
- Limit spreads such as butter, condensed milk and peanut butter
6. Prevent yourself from getting overweight or obese
Maintain a healthy weight by keeping your BMI within 18.5-22.9