If you diet includes a wide variety of foods in the right proportion, and does not exclude any food groups, then you are following a healthy balanced diet.
You daily diet should include the following food groups:
Healthy Eating Food Pyramid for Adults
(Sources: CHEU, Department of Health 2017)
Other health tips:
1. Go for 5-A-Day daily
Have at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables can help lower blood pressure, prevent heart disease and certain cancers (such as bowel cancer). Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals, which are essential for optimum health. This is best made up from a range of fruits and vegetables of different colours including red, green, yellow, white, purple, and orange. Also, fruits and vegetables are high in dietary fibre, which is good for bowel movement. It is suggested to have at least 2 servings of fruits (1 serving = 1 medium-sized fruit) and 3 servings of vegetables (1 serving = 1/2 bowl of cooked vegetables) every day.
2. Limit consumption of red meat. Avoid processed meat. Choose a variety of meat, poultry, fish, seafoods, nuts, dry beans and eggs
Limit consumption of red meat to 500g per week and avoid processed meat helps lower the risk of bowel cancer. Eat fish particularly fatty fish at least two times per week to obtain omega-3 fatty acids for optimal heart health.
3. Limit alcohol consumption
Excessive alcohol intake increases blood pressure, blood triglyceride and metabolic burden to liver. Alcohol also contributes to empty calories and may result in obesity. Alcohol consumption has been shown to increase risk of a number of cancers. Therefore, it is suggested to consume no more than 1 drink* for women and 2 drinks* for men.
*1 drink = 280ml beer, 125ml red wine or white wine, or 25ml spirit
4. Employ healthy cooking methods
- Choose lean meat. Remove animal skin and trim off visible fats before cooking
- Opt for low-fat dairy, seasoning and dressing
- Use low fat cooking methods such as baking, roasting, steaming, boiling, or stir-frying with non-stick fry pan.
5. Easy tips for healthy eating
- Enjoy a wide variety of foods
- Eat regular meals with appropriate portion . Eat slowly to help portion control
- Opt for wholegrains, such as wholemeal bread, brown rice, oatmeal
- Get your 5-A Day by choosing different fruits and vegetables every day
- Always remove animal skin and trim off visible fats
- Limit ordering deep-fried dishes when eating out. Opt for stir-fried, steamed or soup dishes
- Replace full-fat with low fat or skimmed dairy products (milk, yoghurt, cheese)
- Try using skimmed or low fat milk for tea, coffee and drinks. Replace butter with soft margarine
- Follow 3-low principles: low salt, sugar, fat/ oil most of the time. Enjoy high fat/ snack in moderation occasionally
- Limit salted or preserved food such as salted fish, salted egg, Chinese preserved sausage
- Choose low sugar or sugar free drink, such as water, plain tea, diet softdrink
6. Prevent yourself from getting overweight or obese
Maintain a healthy weight by keeping your BMI within 18.5-22.9